Friday, July 16, 2004

at least he didn't do the running man

I don't know so much about drugs.  I know what chemicals are doing what in what part of the brain, but as far as how they feel or what they make people do I'm fairly clueless.  However, I recently learned that using eight different drugs simultaneously and going out in public is not such a good idea. 
 
It wouldn't be a Gina/Perplexa night at Mercury Lounge without something weird happening.  Last night, the Delays played their first show in NYC.  Their album reviews are less than stellar, but, derivative schmerivative, they have some damn good songs, and the lead singer is so itty bitty and cute and British with a voice that alternates between low and raspy and crystal clear falsetto, and I wished I could wrap him up, stick him in my pocket, and pull him out to sing for me anytime I'm feeling sad.  For a Manhattan show the audience was fairly enthusiastic, but one gentleman stood out, to say the least.  
 
If you've heard the Delays, or you listen to the songs on their website (do it!), you will see that, while upbeat, they don't exactly inspire bouncing-off-the-walls dancing craziness.  The non-descript backpack-wearing dude in front of me begged to differ, as he moved spastically the entire time and created a three foot radius of empty space in which he flailed about.   Here are just some of the dance moves performed by this guy to the confusion, delight, and horror of those around him:
 
*The Robot
*Overhead clapping at inappropriate times
*Pretending to shoot heroin into his arm with his finger
*Pogoing, lots and lots of pogoing
*Ballroom dancing with an imaginary partner
*The dance the undead do in the Thriller video
*That thing where you wrap your arms around yourself so that from behind it looks like someone's making out with you
 
I hope he made it home ok.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

best post ever. reminds me of our last mercury experience, featuring the incredible back-tapping dancers. x x ellen