Monday, July 26, 2004

temper tantrum time

I want one of these.

I do not want one of these.

I feel like a two-year-old. A two-year-old who can drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, and consume five-pound burritos.



Actually, I think I had more drive as a two-year-old (no pun intended.) According to my parents, this picture was not staged as I was determined to drive the car. In grade school, I took summer school classes for fun. In high school, I took more Advanced Placement tests than anyone else in the entire fucking state. In college, I woke up at 6:00 am, six days a week, nine months a year to haul a 200 pound boat around the Harlem River. All because I just felt like it. Now, I continuously dent my futon watching television shows with titles such as Trading Spouses: Meet Your New Mommy.

Alas, I am no longer a two-year-old. It's time to stop the whinin' and do something (really, anything will suffice) with my ooooh so tragic life before I annoy the crap out of myself. I simply need to find a healthy balance between the masochism of my past and the hedonism of my present. Now that I've fully experienced both, how hard can it be?

8 comments:

Gloria said...

Ah, to be an overachiever once again. Once upon a time, I was one as well. Made the curriculum person at my high school redo the entire school's schedule so that I could take my 2 language classes, advanced math and orchestra. Took all the APs I could. Attended summer school happily, because one could never learn enough. Did it all, without blinking. Then in college, took 5 courses each semester, worked on a number of publications and joined a number of committees/activity groups.

Then something happened. I'm not sure what. But in the last two years (since leaving college) I have never been less productive.

Signs of my old overachieving ways are imminent though, as I figure out my schedule for the upcoming school year. Maybe that's all you need (to be all trite and cheesy) - to find your passion.

Although sometimes I'm convinced that my passion is figuring out how to be a socialite or an event planner and combine that with an MEd. It'll work out somehow.

Gina said...

Heh, I'm sure you can apply it to a variety of things. Today I met with someone Fatboss knows who has an EdD and is one of the original creators of Blues Clues. And yes, it's all about finding the passion. I'm sure I have one lying around somewhere...

Fat Asian Baby said...

Heh. Fools. I'm pretty sure I've been a lazy sack of shit for my entire life.

Andrew said...

Amen, sister.

Robo's Drone said...

Hey, did anyone else notice that huge splat of bird crap on the car window in the photo? Heh.

Gina said...

yes, drone, that's how we roll in my family. classy all the way. i think that car was a giant silver volkswagen station wagon, which was at least twice the size of our other car, a blue 1973 VW beetle that shook violently when it reached a certain speed so we sold it to some clueless foreigners. heh.

Robo's Drone said...

well, it's a phat picture nonetheless. in fact, i think the crap makes it phatter.

Gina said...

thanks, drone. when are you gonna f-in blog again?!