Wednesday, July 28, 2004

the relay from chile

The one thing I regret not doing in college is a study abroad program. I was too busy injuring muscles I didn't know existed. My little sis, however, is taking the opportunity to immerse herself in the words and ways of a foreign culture by spending six months in Santiago, Chile. Just days into her trip, she is having new and exciting experiences. Behold the email I received from her just this very morning:

Hey, just wanted to let you know that last night I experienced what I may have to label the most awkward moment of my life--and there have been many candidates for this honor. I don´t know if I mentioned that my host sister, Monica (aka Kiki) got a boob job yesterday. This seemed weird in itself because I would love to be so small and pretty and cute and I don´t think her looks need to be improved in the slightest, but I guess she always dreamed of being more chesty so whatever.

Anyway, she came home around nine last night and I was told to go up and visit. So I did, and she was very tired and in a lot of pain but apparently quite happy. So I asked her if it hurt a lot and such and then couldn´t think of anything more to say, so I stood around until my host mother, Monica the Elder, exiled me and Pablo the bf from the room so she could change her newly enhanced daughter´s clothes. I hung out in the hall trying to decide if I should go downstairs until finally M the E came out and invited us to re-enter the invalid´s room. Kiki was lying in bed with her eyes shut, smiling beatifically, and Pablo got onto the bed with her and my host mother cleaned off a chair and told me to sit down. So I sat there, staring at Kiki and trying to decide if I should say something. I could almost feel Pablo wondering why the hell I didn´t leave, and I was certainly wondering the same thing myself but I couldn´t figure out how to gracefully make my exit. Finally Kiki´s older brother Cristian walked in, and when he left I hopped up and followed him.

Honestly, I never thought I´d find myself hanging out in a room with somebody recovering from a boob job and said somebody´s scary boyfriend. Incidentally, Kiki doesn´t look all that different. Maybe it takes a couple days to reach full effectiveness. Or maybe you have to add water or something.


Thanks, kiddo. You just keep on learnin'...

2 comments:

Andrew DF said...

Pablo sounds like a kid eager to tear open his christmas presents, but it's only 2 in the morning so he's got to sweat out the wait for a while yet.

Gina said...

haha. yeah the whole situation is just weird. my sis already refers to him as scarypablo. but scarypablo has an extremely cute brother so at least he's good for something.