Monday, July 12, 2004

i have no job and a hole in my tooth. this "adult" thing is just not for me.

I have safely returned from the land of unironic trucker hats. For the first time in the eleven years that I've been coming to New York, seeing the skyline from the plane made me neither warm nor fuzzy. I took one look at it, snarled, and turned my attention to the Queens side. There are lots of houses with those round backyard swimming pools there.

As anticipated, getting to work this morning was a task completed only with constant pacifying, in the form of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to get out the door and to Starbucks, and iced grande soy latte (grande soy iced latte?) on the train, and a cigarette from the train station to the building. I thought I'd be sitting around all morning terrified, but around 10:00 I heard the magic words: "Gina, follow me to the back." Except for the nasty HR lady who said that if I were her daughter she would have smacked me silly for running off like I did (I'm no parenting expert, but I doubt that technique would work very well on lost/confused 22-year-olds...bitch) the conversation went very well. Mainboss is simply a wonderful human being, and he was very understanding and sympathetic to my unhappy state and the fact that I am not the kind of person who does well here. I decided against continuing to work on a scary warning/probationary status, and now I have two weeks to find someone who wants to pay me. And to go to the dentist, finally, before I lose my health insurance.

I'm daunted by this task given my pathetic lack of job-hunting and interviewing experience, but right now I feel so much lighter, and not just because I've lost about five pounds on the Mom's Wholesome Cooking/Scared Shitless About How To Make Money and What To Do With My Life Diet. Hmmm, perhaps I could devote my life to eradicating that Atkins nonsense...

3 comments:

Gloria said...

Oof! Good luck!

But if you weren't happy there, it's better that you left (even if it wasn't in the most auspicious manner). It took me a year and a half before I was able to come up with the courage to tell my parents I was leaving medical school, which is a damn lot of tuition but at least now they can't tell me I didn't try it.

Gina said...

jacinthe--what are you going to school for exactly? i've considered the med thing, but it seems like the insane amount of time and money involved might not be worth it for me. i think i'm going to work for a year doing...something, and then go to school for...something else.

rhett--you would know if you had a hole, because it f-in hurts. at least a big one does, like the one i can feel with my fingernail. woops. fortunately, there is a dentist's office in my building so i'll be heading down soon i hope. oh to have parents to arrange these things for me again...

Gloria said...

I'm going to get my master's in education. I'm not (as so many people think) going to get my teaching credentials so that I can teach little brats in grade school, but rather I'm studying education itself. Does that make sense? Sometimes it doesn't to me. For me this is a stepping stone before I apply for a doctoral program. Or so I can get paid more to do research, whichever. Or so I can find myself a rich husband at that school up north and not have to work ever again. I'm trying not to think of what I will (or won't) be doing next year, because it gives me anxiety attacks.

Medical school is a gigantic commitment, and you have to truly want to do it, otherwise it's not worth the time, effort or money. I could go on and on forever about the pros and cons - I had to weight them heavily before I left - but I won't because it gets boring. If you have questions though, feel free to email.