Wednesday, June 09, 2004

new pants and cardigan sweaters = success

Yesterday at about 4:55 i had a little come-to-Jesus talk with my boss. (I don't know if "come-to-Jesus" is an established phrase or if my friend Raegan just made it up, but she uses it all the time and now I do too because I like it, along with most transgressions of the Second Commandment. Anyway.) I had a minor heart attack when he summoned me over to his three square feet of desk space and said "well you've been here a year now..." but chilled when it was apparent I still had a job and that he really wants to help me do well. Essentially, he recognizes that I'm not always gung-ho about work, and now that it's been a year and I know how to take care of all the mundane secretarial type crap, it's time to "learn the business." And how do I do this? Brown-nose more. That's it, really, and in his words. Like the other youngun on my desk, I should stand up and ask Ol' Sport inane questions until there's bullshit coming out my ears. This fake, schmoozy behavior pretty much represents the polar opposite of my personality, so I've got quite the challenge. Honestly, I'm doubtful that I can hack it, (and if I can't Boss will help me find something else to do, which is fuckin awesome and generous of him,) but what can you do in such a situation besides give it the college try. My transformation commenced with the one thing I do know how to do: buy clothes. I even braved the royal bitches at the Theory store on Columbus Ave. Now that's dedication.

2 comments:

Gloria said...

My friend's younger sister just got a job as Assistant Buyer at that store. You have no idea how excited I am, since she'll get me nice fat discounts.

And you're right, perhaps the top shouldn't be labeled as "cute", but more along the lines of.. hot? I'm just jealous, I fall outside the suggest cup range by... well, quite a bit. I'll just take comfort in the fact that almost any top I put on takes on a whole new life when supported by ... well, me.

I think I need sleep, I'm loopy.

Gina said...

Oh you're lucky. Theory pants really do fit better than anything else. And speaking of discounts, a friend of mine was dating a nice (and generous with her employee discount) girl who worked at the Marc Jacobs store for a while. I think I was sadder about the beakup than he was.