Friday, June 25, 2004

hot town

Yesterday I walked home from work, as I tend to do when the weather is at least semi-nice and I want an excuse not to go to the gym. I'm always in love with the city no matter what it does to me, but sometimes there are just these moments when things seem so perfect they could only happen here. And it's usually when the everyday experiences become special, like my commute home last night.

*Just two blocks from my building I spied my old buddy Jacob the Cute Rickshaw Driver. Since he was on the job and couldn't stop for long, he offered me a ride to Central Park, as he was headed there anyway to pick up some tourists at the Plaza. He pedaled, I sat, and we chatted about jobs, friends, plans, etc. Except for the fact that you feel like you're going to fall forward into a sea of concrete and cars, this is not a bad way to travel.

*While walking up the Center Drive with my headphones on full blast I heard a car honk and a "Hey" and turned to see a large, nice-looking black man leaning toward the passenger-side window.
Man: Where'd you get your sneakers? I can't find them anywhere!
Me: Oh I'm sorry! I got them in LA. ["I got it in LA" is a phrase that would normally cause me pain, but, well, I did get the limited edition Starsky and Hutch Adidas in LA]

He smiled and drove off, and I put my headphones back on. Then came another honk. My new friend had a huge grin on his face and held up a black hightop Adidas sneaker. I gave him a thumbs up and a "Niiiiice." Big black man and little white girl bond over their sneakers--a little music in the background and this would've made a great commercial.

*Still laughing from that interaction, I approached the sand volleyball court where, apparently, the Gorgeous Shirtless Man Coalition was playing a match. And we're not talking two or three cute guys here. There were about twenty...all shirtless, all hot. Note to self: take this route more frequently, and carry your camera at all times.

*Finally, at long long long last, it's Friday!!!! Rock on. Sleep. Tell your psycho-conservative boss you're seeing Fahrenheit 9/11 this weekend and watch him explode.

No comments: