Thursday, June 02, 2005

mmmmm

If you know me, you know that I always go out with a bang. Often, literally. It is now time for me to leave the great town of Ithaca, and I made sure to stick around for my restaurant's end of the school year employee party. I decided beforehand that there was perhaps a chance in hell that my lips would touch those of another at some point, but I'd forgotten about this dude [see the last sentence...yeeeah] until we looked at each other at the party's afterparty and mutually decided to "go hang out at your/my place." Between him and my roommate's new puppy, I'm going to have a seriously hard time dragging my lazy ass away from here. But it will happen. See you on the other side!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina..

How did you finally get down and leave? I need to do the same thing. I can find neither motivation or reason. Yet I hate life and need to get to London. I just have no idea what I want to do, no idea where I'm going to live, and staying on friends sofas in fairly unappealing. But if I don't move I'm going to end up like Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down'.

I wish I had the confidence to do everything I probably could, but I can't seem to get my act together...

Wow... this feels like an agony aunt column...

Gina said...

Well, moving back to New York isn't really a great feat on my part, since I already have a place to live and friends and a vague idea of what I want to do with myself and where I want to do it. Leaving New York was a biggie though. I'd been unhappy there for so long and was doing bad things to myself but couldn't see a reason to leave and then in about five minutes one day I cooked up a cockamamie "plan," felt excited about something for the first time in ages, bought a one-way plane ticket on the spot, and waited to see what happened. What happened was I had some great times, a much-needed vacation from life as I knew it, and (a little too much) time to think, and now I'm going back to New York, which may very well be a bad idea. Here's hoping my "new perspective" and a tiny sliver of self-confidence help me be happier there this time around. But enough about me...I think what you need to do is figure out what excites you, and gravitate towards that. If that thing is London, just do it. If it sucks and you come back at least you tried and probably learned something or at least were distracted for a while. It's awful having no motivation for anything, so if you're lucky enough to have something excite you by all means run with it before you start wandering around the woods naked and talking to the trees. Also, I would highly advise getting a job at a restaurant. Just don't sleep with any coworkers until AFTER you quit.