Monday, August 16, 2004

adventures in poverty

Sorry for the blog-slacking. Due to a 55% cut in pay (but now I get to wear jeans on Friday!) my life has taken a very sudden turn for the boring, and I've been preoccupied with figuring out how to go from leaking money out of my pores to being, like, financially responsible. There have been many sobbing phone calls to the parents lately, who, while of course concerned, are of the "well back in MY day" type. Nevermind that back in his day, my dad's rent was $57 per month. As the only help I could squeeze out of them is the promise of a shipment of Clif Bars, I am forced to make some changes.

On Friday I made a list of my current rent and monthly expenses, which, by some annoying act of god, turns out to be the EXACT amount I will be making at the new job. Because I prefer eating food over not eating food, this means it's time to prioritize. Moron that I am, this is a foreign concept, but so far it's been easier than I thought. Rent, utilities, cell phone, and subway are clearly essential. The gym membership, tanning, anti-baby pills, and Brazilian bikini waxes, not so much. I'm not particularly looking forward to being flabby, pale, crampy, and hairy, but as my only romantic interest at the moment lives in Canada I figure I can sacrifice a little vanity. Now the only remaining question is TV and internet. I suppose I don't NEED digital cable and a high-speed connection, but given that my two major hobbies are watching the channels numbered above 100 and illegally downloading mp3's, I'm having a hard time with this one. Also, I have somewhat of a burrito "problem" which peanut butter and jelly sandwiches just can't help. Onto finding Job #2. Wonder if Burritoville is hiring...

No comments: