Friday, September 10, 2004

I <3 NYC

[Note: this post will go wonderfully with a nice bottle of Cabernet and some Carr's Table Water Crackers]

First of all, has anyone else noticed the proliferation of tourist t-shirts saying "I [heart] NYC" instead of "I [heart] NY?" Lame.

Anyway, sometimes I really do [heart] the City of New York. Like last night, when Perplexa and I bounced around at the Franz Ferdinand show (over schmover, they were fun,) saw David Bowie exiting the VIP section which we so sneakily penetrated (ok, I'm not 100% sure it was David Bowie, but the dude really reeeeally looked like him, and another girl said "I think that was David Bowie," so for all intents and purposes we saw David Bowie,) went to the supposedly cool afterparty and before entering realized it was decidedly not cool, then walked into another bar passing Chloe on her way out for a cig, scored free shots at the next bar after a cane-using crack addict did a jig for us in exchange for a cigarette (as we had no crack to give him,) and capped off the night at 2 a.m. with grilled shrimp cocktail, homefried potatoes, and petting of the cutest puppy I've ever seen. And then when I got home, I successfully ended the life of a monstrous cockroach with a whack from my family size bottle of Listerine and a swift flush down the crapper.

The best part of all this is that after five years in this city I still appreciate the little things. Like the fact that if one place doesn't work out there are countless other options, that if you get stupid drunk cabs will be lining up to take you home, and that one can roll into a cafe at 2 in the morning and be served hot, fresh food surrounded by people spastically dancing to Beatles songs and crazy puppies with really sharp teeth. We talked to one guy at the Chloe bar who was so pissed he didn't get into the not cool party, and all he had to say was how much that sucked (getting in would've sucked more, in my humble opinion,) and how much the current bar sucked (in which we managed to have fun,) and how cool the bar across the street is but it's so dead that it sucks (in which we later went and had fun.) And I really just felt sorry for him, because as long as you've got some friends you can make things not suck.

No comments: