Friday, March 23, 2012

morning constitutional

Note to self: Do not leave the house without a camera. This morning as I was leaving my apartment to pick up some essentials (overpriced American cereal and Silk soymilk), I thought about putting my camera in my pocket, and then I was like, but I’m just taking a quick walk through the westernized luxury compound, there won’t be anything to take a picture of, right? WRONG. About one third of the way from my place to the food mart was an elderly Chinese man standing on a patch of grass, verbally coaxing his two pet guinea pigs into a little rectangular carrier dangling from a stick. Let me repeat: an elderly Chinese man standing on a patch of grass, verbally coaxing his two pet guinea pigs into a little rectangular carrier dangling from a stick. I know they were pets and not just wild guinea pigs because A., I’ve walked around my area quite a bit and have seen no wild guinea pigs, and B., they were wearing little ribbons around their necks. This scene was made all the more surreal by the loungey techno music emanating from the nearby fusion restaurant. So, I took a mental picture instead, and have recreated it for you here:


No comments: