Wednesday, February 29, 2012

potty humor

Some parts of this New York Times article about the dearth of women's toilets in China are pretty hilarious. Like, for example, this part:
A little more than a week ago, in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou, she and half a dozen other activists commandeered the men’s stalls at a busy public restroom near a park. For three-minute intervals, they warded off the men and invited the women to shorten their waits by using the vacated men’s stalls. Then they waved the men back in for 10 minutes.

The operation, dubbed “Occupy Men’s Toilets,” ended after an hour with, according to Ms. Li, greater public awareness and no trouble.

And this part:
Last November, China hosted the World Toilet Organization’s 11th World Toilet Summit and Expo on Hainan Island. The Chinese authorities there said that the island, a tourist spot, was in the midst of a “toilet revolution.”

But, for someone like me who likes to keep hydrated, the article also kind of terrifying. When I was a dog walker in Manhattan, I knew every easily-accessible toilet on the Upper East Side (if you're on Fifth Avenue, I highly recommend the Guggenheim). And I had a mental map of all the places one could go in Soho during a long day of shopping (Cafe Bari, unfortunately, has turned into a real restaurant and one can no longer sneak down to the basement bathroom without buying anything). But I pretty much avoid Soho now, except to buy Japanese socks and underpants. Wait, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, China and peeing. Point is, I am worried and will probably become insanely jealous of toddlers and their split-crotch pants. Don't know what I'm talking about? Check out this video. I recommend watching a bit of the beginning and then skipping to 1:55.

No comments: